Repeat after us: Petite is a proportion, not a size. In fact, Petite women fit an extensive range of sizes. There are, however, a few indicators that suggest you might want to try Petites.
We’ve listed them here:
- You’re 5’4’’ or under.
- Your inseam is 27 inches or less.
- Regular sleeves and straps are too long.
- Pockets, shoulders and waist seams fall in the wrong places.
- Three-quarter sleeves magically lengthen your arms.
- Off-the-shoulder styles opens up space between the chest and the neck, elongating your silhouette.
- Look for styles that don’t overwhelm your frame.
- When trying dresses and skirts, think movement.
- Don’t be afraid of prints. Just go for smaller motifs that are in proportion to the rest of your look.
- V-neck and scoop necks create the illusion of height.
- Try to avoid anyting with too much excess fabric, unless it’s a style you can belt.