It’s an absolute myth that being in style means being immodest. We’re here to tell you that there are plenty of ways to dress modestly for every occasion—with elegance, dignity, grace, and comfort—inside and out. Just keep these guidelines in mind when choosing your style, and let the dress(es) do the rest.
- Midi and maxi dresses are both beautifully covered-up options. Flowy, elegant and feminine, they make an entrance without showing off.
- Dots and stripes: these are both patterns that are understated but stylish, fresh and modern—without being edgy in the slightest.
- Avoid sleeveless styles, plunging V-necks, and open backs. (Bonus: Long sleeves are forever elegant.)
- Love your layers, aka a shrug over a short-sleeve dress, a wrap over a cap-sleeve midi.
- Embrace evening separates —wide-leg trousers, a blousy top, a soft cover-up.
- Dressing modestly never has to mean boring. It’s all about what you bring to the look, and shining from the inside out. We love the options above, but if you want to amp up your outfit just a little, think about a few pieces of jewelry you might want to add. (Just don’t overdo it.)